Wednesday 15 September 2010

new-tool Airfix Bf 110 C/D in 72nd scale





'M8+AP' Hptm. Heinz Nacke (12 vics) 6./ZG 76, Greece, May 1941

The Airfix Bf 110 was one of the early new-tools from the 'new-look' Airfix. (I'm editing this in 2021 - some eleven years after I built it!) It's not a bad kit - but its not brilliant either and certainly does not compete with the the Eduard 72nd Bf 110. Here I've finished it in that nice ZG 76 scheme with lots of yellow. Decals are odds n' sods from Italeri/Techmod although I did use the Airfix 'sharkmouth' and crosses - albeit not very successfully as it required a lot of touching up! There is a lot of kit in the box but not much guidance in the instructions on possible loads etc. In the end I put almost everything on it apart from the smaller drop tanks which have gone to the Fujimi 110 I'm just finishing. This is a much better kit than that one - apart from the panel lines and the canopy perhaps. One or two detail bits missed off (in this Airfix kit) which I've added, such as aileron balances, fuselage antenna. Not happy with my 'sprue' aerial wires - too thick and not taut enough. These have subsequently been modified - there was only one wire to the port fin though IIRC




No comments:

Post a Comment