Saturday 6 November 2010

Airfix Spitfire Mk. 1 610 Sqd, Hawkinge (1/72)

Finished in the markings of P/O George Hudson, 610 Sqn.

Lovely little kit, shame about the rather thick canopy. Parts fit was very good again, although I had to work hard to clip the canopy in place. Replaced the gunsight with clear card and some of the cockpit detail is visible including the control column, so that was pleasing. For once the decals work almost perfectly, almost the first time I've been able to say that about these new tool Airfix kits. The result looks better in my book than the equivalent diecast, which is one of the benchmarks I use when building a model nowadays. Finished up with a Promodeller 'Dark dirt' wash, although once again I end up thinking that this really is a product that is very over-rated - I much prefer an oil pin wash. Now to finish some more of these Spits using the Southern Expo Hornchurch decal sheet..












No comments:

Post a Comment