Thursday 24 February 2011

Zvezda Junkers Ju 88 G-6 1/72






After looking at the Hasegawa G-6 over on my Luftwaffe blog I thought I'd build the Zvezda Junkers Ju 88 G-6 first. Great looking kit, for around half the cost of the Hasegawa model. One or two issues apparent straight out of the box, and while I am no rivet-counter I will be replacing the tail fin with the Quickboost resin replacement and something will have to be done with the Jumo charger intakes which are very poor representations in the kit  - perhaps copied from the equally poor Hasegawa intakes.
Edit: a note from AIMS' John McIllmurray who was in touch about this kit and commented ;

"...the tail is wrong, the wings too thin (the side fuselage ducts are not needed on the G-6 ) and the engines are completely wrong and the nacelles immediately behind them too short! My engines not only have the right detail but include the missing cowling length so you can add them straight onto the kits cowling and blend in. Basically as with AMT before, Zvezda have done a compromise kit that can also become an A-4 but the Jumo 211 J and Jumo 213 are just too different both in power egg and rear cowling to allow this. If you already have the Quickboost fin/rudder all you need from me are the engines which are £7.00 plus postage..."

So this build is on hold until my new engines arrive......






1 comment: