Tuesday 9 July 2013

new tool Airfix Gloster Gladiator in 1:72nd scale (2)



 You can't beat sitting out in the garden whittling away on a few pieces of plastic in the sunshine ! Day 5 in the high 20's - gosh it's summer! Here's my progress on the new-tool Airfix Gladiator. Below cockpit with decal instrument panel...




My principal references. I'm a little apprehensive about this build - I haven't finished a biplane since I built the (very) old Airfix RE 8 when I was ten years old...



I was thinking of rigging mine - or as much as is possible - before putting the top wing on, going from strut top to bottom. Sounded like a good idea until it was pointed out to me (thanks Paul!) that in real life the rigging attachments are within the wing structure, so the cable always intersects the wing covering some way ahead of the strut intersection and doesn't butt up to the strut...




Drilling out the rigging holes in the lower side of the top wing


I've got hold of some EZ Line (fine) and have tried it out on my Gladiator tailplane (while using sprue on the interplane struts). Here's what I've done. It's easy enough to secure one end of the EZ line thread - but I'm having a torrid time trying to secure the other end! Too much stretch I presume....



No comments:

Post a Comment